Mission, Vision, Motto and Core Values
To Nurture and Empower Every Junyuan Champ to Lead, to Serve and to Excel
Champions for the Community
Our Core Values
Innovation, Excellence, Respect, Responsibility, Resilience
Strategic Thrust 1
Providing positive school experiences to develop persons for others
Every opportunity, a meaningful learning experience
Every student, a community youth leader
Strategic Thrust 2
Enabling keys to open many doors
Every learning experience, a relevant bridge to the future
Every student, a confident & future-ready / future-proof individual
Strategic Thrust 3
Developing crew, not passengers
Every student, a self-directed ambassador
Every staff, an innovative and competent mentor
Every adult, a positive role model
Junyuan Secondary School (JYSS) was established in January 1999. The two Chinese characters “Jun” and “Yuan” mean Source of Good Things. To be the “source of good things”, the school must propagate two key ideas about learning. The first is that a school must provide positive learning experiences so that the learners become better persons for others; the second is that when these learners leave the school, they have the keys to open many doors in life.
In Junyuan, these two ideas are encapsulated in our mission to nurture and empower every Junyuan champ to lead, to serve, and to excel. Anchored in the values of a servant-leader with a mindset of excellence, imbued with the resilience and sense of responsibility to improve his community, a Junyuanite is a team player who, through his positivity and respect for others, inspires respect. If we achieve our mission, each of our student would truly be a Champion for the Community.
Onboard the Junyuan ship, we aim to develop crew members, not merely passengers. Crew members are committed to collaboratively sail the ship towards continuous improvement, leveraging the spirit of innovation for the betterment of the community. As crew members, we are mindful that for improvement to be sustainable, we must achieve balance, much as how sailors keep their ships on an even keel. In Junyuan, this balance is manifested in the following community behaviours:
- We develop team mastery and positive relationships, while valuing the uniqueness of each individual
- We understand when to appreciate and enable effective effort, and when to appreciate stillness
- We must nurture both resilience and adaptability
- We dare to have many dreams, but we remain rooted in our core values and our community
- We ask many right questions, but we enjoy looking for the answers too
- We know how to engineer success, but we can also have fun while doing so
We achieve balance when we adopt the itinerary of sustainable improvement:
- Consolidating the Right Things through ABCD – Affirming School Progress & Direction, Building Belief in Systems, Structures and Process, Consolidating Core Strategy-Programmes, Developing Personal Capacity
- Strengthening the Right Crew through EFGH – Enabling & Enhancing Capacity, Fostering & Growing Innovation, Encouraging the Heart by increasing sense of mission and belonging
- Challenging our Processes through the 3 Rs – Reviewing, Revisiting, Recrafting</li>
- Charting the Right Direction through IaM – Inspiring a shared vision for the community and Modeling the Way to get there
- What and how are the students learning?
- How do we know that they have learnt?
- Is this necessary?
- Can the students do this on their own?
- If not, how can we help them do it on their own?
- What next?
To help us adopt this itinerary, we reduce effort inflation by asking ourselves 6 essential questions: